Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Sushi, Sushi read all about it!!

This past weekend I tried Sushi for the first time (thanks Amy). As I have mentioned before I am trying new things this year. I only tried the California Roll (no raw fish) I was greatly surprised that I liked it!!! As I was eating the first piece I thought what a great taste. Then my second I thought it can't be that good well it was. So, thanks to Amy I tried Sushi and liked it. I know there are some many more types of Sushi out there and the California roll is a great way to introduce yourself to Sushi. I did some research and found some helpful hints on the Sushi World.

PORTION DISTORTION: Quite often sushi is served by the piece. That makes it easy to over-order. If you want to save calories, carbs and/or points, order "light rice." To make your meal more filling, bulk it up with an order of oshitashi (boiled spinach with soy sauce).

RAW DEALS: Heads Up! Look out for the following words. They'll clue you in that you're about to order something not so diet-friendly...
"Tempura" - Tempura is basically Japanese for "batter fried." Tempura = a fatfest!
"Spider" - Spider rolls are usually greasy fried crab rolls. They sound good, but they really pack in calories and fat.
"Dynamite" - In sushi-land, the word "dynamite" basically means, "baked in a sea of gooey mayo." Skip it!
"Crunch" - Yet another cute & clever way of saying "fried & fatty."

ROCKIN' ROLLS!
Cucumber Roll - This crunchy, healthy delight packs in just 130 calories & no fat!
Spicy Tuna Roll - If made with a small amount of mayo, one of these will likely contain between 250 - 290 calories, and 5 - 10g of fat.
California Roll - Order without mayo, and this one will set you back about 275 - 300 calories, and have 5 - 10g of fat.

EXTRA, EXTRA!
What about those extras?
The Good: Wasabi, Soy Sauce, Seaweed, Ginger, Edamame
The Dangerous: Mayo, Cream Cheese, Various Oils

More Sushi Tips...
Save calories by asking your sushi chef to go easy on the rice.Some sushi restaurants offer brown rice, which is better for you than white. If you see it, got for it!In need of another healthy sushi starter? Go for edamame. A 1/2 cup serving contains 127 calories, 6g fat and 4g fiber (2 points).

I am not a Sushi expert but my first experience was great! I would defiantly try it again!


No comments: