Friday, April 30, 2010

Ladies and Gentlemen start your engines!!!

One of my loves is decorating cakes.
I was asked to make a 5 year old boy race car cake. I had made a cake for him before as a race car cake so I wanted to do something a little different.

I baked 2 8 inch chocolate cakes and 2 8 inch yellow cakes. I placed cut the edge off on all 4 cakes and applied a layer of frosting in between the two cakes. I then butted the cake together.
I set them aside and started to make the track out of Oreo's. I don't like using black frosting it stains hands, teeth and is just a mess.
I used my electric mini food processor and crushed the Oreo's.
I then flat frosted the cake.
I placed two circle shaped bowls on the top and sprinkled the Oreo's on the top to make the top of the cake look like a track.
I placed his favorite race cars on the top of the cake and use a leaf tip and put some grass on the cake. Then with the writer tip I wrote Happy B-day and also put some blades of grass on the top as well. I used blue frosting to make a border around the top and there you have it.
This is an easy way to make it look like you spent hours in the kitchen!!!!

No comments: